We recently had a chance to speak with the 2012 Miss New York Teen USA, Sabrina Mastrangelo. Sabrina is currently a sophomore in Bellmore, NY and hopes in the future to study broadcasting. Her dream career is to become a news anchor, but for now she enjoys participating in her school plays and plans on studying journalism.
Name: Sabrina Mastrangelo
Hometown: Bellmore, NY
Grade Level: Sophomore in high school.
- Have you already attended the Prom?
No I have not.
- What are you looking forward to the most?
Definitely looking for a dress!! I think that is the most exciting part! I already have the style in mind: a strapless mermaid dress. Since I am on the shorter side, a mermaid dress looks best on me and will flatter my figure.
- Do you plan on attending after prom?
Yes I do. Last year at my high school, the seniors all went to a bounce house after prom. First they changed into their after prom dresses and jumped all night long in inflatable houses! I thought that was a fun idea and hope to do that when I am a senior!
- What made you try out for this Pageant?
I was never involved in pageants as a child. I always knew I wanted to compete in one, but it never occurred to me I could compete in a teen pageant since they are not usually televised. Once I became aware of the huge pageant world, I entered my first pageant and competed for the Miss New York Teen USA 2011 crown. I placed in the top 20 in my first pageant ever! I then continued and won the Miss Long Island Teen Pageant in August of 2011. After Miss Long Island, I was set to compete for Miss New York Teen 2012 and I won!
- Do you have a favorite memory from the Pageant?
Definitely winning! I had only competed in two pageants before Miss New York Teen USA so this win is a huge accomplishment to me. Besides winning, meeting all the girls was something I will never forget. We become so close during pageant weekend and consider each other to be “pageant sisters.” If I had to pick one part of the pageant I did not like, it would be missing out on the opportunity to say goodbye to all of my new “sisters.” After I was crowned, I was bombarded with interviewers and photographers wanting pictures, so I was unable to really get to talk to the girls after the show. We all still keep in touch on Facebook though!
- What advice would you give girls your age on “following their dreams”?
You never know what you can accomplish until you try it. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I could ever be a state queen. I went into my first pageant having no experience and it turned out great! Taking that one risk led me to receive two titles in the past six months! My advice to all girls would be to never give up and give everything a shot! You never know what can happen or what you may fall in love with!
- What are some of your go-to beauty products that would be a good recommendation for Prom Night?
Well, I actually have an entire Youtube channel dedicated to beauty! You should check it out!
Some of my favorite products are Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer, Benefit’s “They’re Real” Mascara, and Bobbi Brown or Ulta gel eyeliner! All of these are perfect for any pageant or prom night! Anything Mehron is perfect for stage performances and for that extra dramatic effect.
Fun Facts about Sabrina:
1. One of Sabrina’s favorite stores is Bebe and BCBG but, for the best shopping experience malls and department stores are the best because they have a little bit of everything!
2. Along with winning Miss Long Island Teen, she got to train with her pageant director in preparation for the state pageant. One great tip she learned was to pretend there’s a string pulling up your head and you’ll stand taller!
3. She wants to be an anchor woman/ TV host in the future!